My first taxi ride here was quite interesting. Jer, Willie, and I took a taxi to this great steakhouse the first week we were here. We climbed into this cab that had a black and white checkered paint job on the outside and on the inside the cabbie was rock'n to some really old folksy, country music. Sounded a bit like Kenny Rodgers but I'm pretty sure it was some kind of very original, traditional country! Very funny considering the guy was in traditional dress wearing a thobe (long white linen robe) and a ghutra (head covering). This guy had what I call the picnic ghutra because it is red and white checkered. Some men wear this one and others wear just plain white.
Luckily most taxi's are metered now. When Jer was here last time most of them weren't and you just negotiated the price. That would not work out so well for me since I am horrible with accents. I have yet to take a taxi here on my own out of fear of offending someone because I can't understand them. Case and point, I ordered delivery for us the other night and was really surprised that we actually got the food. I just answered yes to everything and apparently it was the right answer!
Music changes from taxi to taxi and not all men where a thobe. It's not the law here to dress like that it's the Muslim culture and individuals choose how strictly they follow. The same is for the women with the exception of being at the Mosque. Women have to cover their hair. Some men don't treat women that well so you can request to have a female taxi driver. I have not run into any problems with men treating me poorly yet but it happens and has happened to some of the military wives.
There are a lot of malls here and they are huge! The City Center Mall is the newest mall and is 3 or 4 stories with a huge movie theater, a little kids theme park with arcades, bowling, and a few rides, and there is an indoor water park! Most of the stores are American or European. We went into this huge toy store that had life size stuffed animals like an elephant, giraffe, and a dragon. There was also a store in the mall that was kind of like a Walmart or a huge Big Lots. It reminded me of being in San Diego when the intercom came on and the person gave the announcement in arabic then english. In San Diego it was english then spanish. Sometimes it doesn't feel like I'm in another country since even the billboards are in english with arabic written beneath.
We began looking for a flat or a villa the second week we were here. We had an agent take us around. At first we thought we might want a villa which is basically a really big house. Most villas we looked at were at least 5 bedrooms. Most places come furnished and decorated like a palace. The available villas in our price range were a little too far from base for us and nothing was in walking distance so we decided we wanted to stay in Juffair. In Juffair, everything is within walking distance, restaurants, bars, base, and Willie. We looked at a few 3 highs which are 3 story apartment buildings. One apartment per floor. American's can only occupy 25% of any building over 3 stories. This is a rule for the military and it's for safety. We looked at some towers as well. We only found one that was more updated, clean, 3 bedroom, and in our price range. We found one that was brand new that we loved but it was already at 25%. We got lucky with the one we settled on because at first it was at 27% (they had gotten two waiver's to allow the extra) so three people had to be moving out in order for us to get it. Luckily 3 happen to be moving out. So we will be living at the Palm Royal! 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, roof top pool, billiards/game room, movie theater room, gym, sauna & steam room, and maid service twice a week! The great thing is that we can negotiate what we want and don't want in the apartment. Luckily everything was pretty new and clean so we only asked for a few changes. Rent is pretty comparable to living in San Diego but the difference is you get more space and electricity, cable, internet, water, etc. is all included. We plan to move in around the 23rd or 24th of December.
Overall it's been quite an interesting month since our arrival. I've had a horrible cold this last week and haven't been able to do anything, which has worked out okay since Jer has been working really late and is beat by the time he comes home. We were warned when we first arrived that his days would be long. I'm looking forward to getting into our new place and getting into a routine. There is a lot more to see and do here and I look forward to sharing it will you all!
And I look forward to hearing about it ! Love you and miss you very much. Mom
ReplyDelete